2021 Collision & Conflict
A geolocated sound walk along Hadrian's Wall
Collision & Conlfict
In December 2020, Green Croft arts commissioned 14 artists who had strong links to Northumberland, Cumbria and nationalities that reflected the past diversity of the communities that built, manned and lived along Hadrian’s Wall. The 9 commissions are creative responses in song, music, sound, story, spoken word and prose which explore the historical, archeological and environmental conflicts and issues that affect contemporary rural communities today.
Using ECHOES: an interactive GPS-triggered sound app, you will follow our plotted circular sound walk along Hadrian's Wall national trail, triggering artistic responses connected to specific locations on the route enjoyed through your headphones. The walk is is approximately7 kms / 4.3 miles and takes around 2.5 - 3 hours. The walk is moderate with short ascents and descents and suitable for people with a reasonable level of fitness.
Watch The Video
Click the play button to watch a 10 minute video featuring all the artists introducing their work in the landscape.
Radio 4's Open Country
Collision and Conflict featured on Radio 4's Open Country on the 7th August 2021. Click the image below to be taken to BBC Sounds where you can listen to the programme online.
Find out more about the commissioned artists and their work
The Route Map
The walk has a circular route and we recommend that you start and end at Walltown Country Park.
Download and print the map before you go.
Collision & Conflict is accessed via ECHOES app on your digital handheld device (phone or tablet).
We recommend you download ECHOES from home/at a location with Wifi BEFORE embarking on your visited to avoid using all your data. You can do the following in the landscape but it will require use of your data.
SCAN THE QR CODE TO DOWNLOAD AND ACCESS COLLISION + CONFLICT SOUND WALK
1. Open the camera on your phone and point your camera at the QR code
2. You will be directed to open a link in your phone web browser. Click on the link.
3. You will be taken to the Collision + Conflict page on the Echoes website. Scroll down the page.
4. Click on either Google Play or Apple App Store to download the Echoes App to your phone.
5. Download the Echoes App and click open.
6. Your phone will ask you to allow Echoes to use your location. Click ‘Allow’ while using the app.
7. You will be asked if you would like to receive notifications from Echoes. Make your preferred choice.
8. Open your camera and scan the QR code again to be taken to Collision + Conflict Walk.
9. Click ‘Download Walk’.
10. You are now ready to go on your walk.